The Statistical Consulting Center of the UCLA Department of Statistics has the dual purpose of teaching graduate/undergraduate students and consulting with the Los Angeles and broader community on statistical questions and projects. We achieve these goals by:
- Training graduate students in consulting work and real-life data analysis.
- Providing statistical consulting and data analysis services to the UCLA research community and to the community at large.
- Mentoring teams of undergraduate students through real-life consulting projects with faculty advisors and real-world clients for the STATS 140/141SL courses.
We provide statistical consulting through three avenues: walk-in consulting hours, contractual consulting, and STAT 140/141SL projects.
- Walk-in consulting hours: During walk-in hours, consultants provide free advising on smaller, research project-related questions.
- Contractual consulting: For larger projects, the consulting team can be hired (monetary or authorship compensation) to devise and run the analyses on a contractual basis.
- STAT 140/141SL projects: Finally, the SCC is always looking for real-world projects for their consulting capstone courses. For these courses, teams of undergraduate students work with a faculty member and clients to complete consulting projects at no cost to the client.