The UCLA Statistical Consulting Center offers a variety of services for assisting in academic and industrial research projects.
What We Do
The goal of the SCC is to provide statistical advice and collaboration on advanced projects while also educating researchers on appropriate methodology and application. We accomplish this goal through several channels:
- Free one-hour, walk-in office hours with individual consultants to answer questions and assists in project planning. UNTIL THE RESOLUTION OF THE HEALTH CRISIS, ALL WALK-IN CONSULTING WILL BE VIRTUAL.
- Consultation appointments with students and faculty for the purposes of addressing complex questions and developing contractual partnerships.
- STATS 140/141SL capstone course in which teams of undergraduate students build consulting skills by working closely with clients on research projects.
What We Don’t Do
While the SCC offers options for consultants and undergraduate students to work directly on data analysis through partnerships, the major purpose of walk-in consulting is to provide guidance for statistical issues and research considerations and not to perform analysis on behalf of researchers. For this reason we do not offer help with the following:
- Homework assignments
- Thesis/dissertation analysis or writing
- Student class research projects
- Coding in SPSS, SAS, Stata
The SCC is primarily for advising researchers on how to appropriately use statistical methods or formulate statistical questions. Therefore, we do not guarantee published work as a result of a collaboration with the consulting team. We also do not provide a “seal of approval” to researchers submitting a paper, addressing reviewer comments, etc. during our walk-in consulting hours. For contractual projects we do guarantee our work and will address concerns as appropriate.